John Conway's Game Of Life
Just decided to make one of these for fun.
The rules are simple:
- If a lit up square is surrounded by 0 or 1 friends, it dies of loneliness.
- If a lit up square is surrounded by 4 or more friends, it dies from lack of resources.
- If an unlit square is surrounded by exactly 3 friends, they make a new friend there.
And that's all you need to create a potentially infinite world on your screen.
Playable with Keyboard/Mouse or Gamepad (notated with XBox 360 Controls)
Hit C (or XBOX Y) to bring up the control scheme at any time, but the main controls you'll want to use are:
- SPACE - (Starts and stops the simulation)
- ENTER - (Hides the grid and counter)
- BACKSPACE - (Clears the grid)
- LEFT MOUSE BUTTON - (Draws and erases blocks)
- + and - (Changes the speed of the simulation)
The executable runs much better than the HTML5
This is a simulation, not a game. You can potentially challenge your friends to see how many non-oscillating life ticks you can get with 10 or fewer squares as a starting condition, but there's not really a game element to this.
Here's a cool video about Conway's Game Of Life you should watch before using this software: